When you’re running your own business every minute and every second count. Although you can plan what you want to do each day and each week, tasks seem to appear out of nowhere and before you know it the tasks on your to-do list remain there for another week.
One skill that is essential to master as a business owner is learning how to effectively prioritise your tasks. If you can do this, it ensures that you stay on target to reach your goals along with making sure that all client work is complete to a high standard. It’s easy for things to slip through the cracks when you get so busy, but with effectively prioritising your tasks, this will become a thing of the past.
I’ve created a step by step guide to show you exactly how to prioritise your tasks effectively, the same process that I use myself.
1) Create a list of your daily, weekly and monthly tasks. You can even create a quarterly task list if you wish. You need to include all of your tasks no matter how big or small they may seem, even if they take up only 5 minutes of your time they need to be on the list.
2) Create two separate lists out of the list that you have just created. One of these lists will be called urgent tasks and the other list to be named important tasks.
3) You need to go through each list and identify where each task ranks on the list that it’s on. This will really start to show you a clear picture of what tasks need your attention first.
4) For each individual task, you should note down exactly what the tasks entails along with an estimated time that it will take to complete.
5) Start to create deadlines. Look at both lists that you have created and create deadlines for each task and then book it into your calendar and communicate this with anyone else involved in the task such as your client or team members.
6) Take action and start on the tasks that are top of your lists. You should have a flexible approach as other tasks can come in at different times and you may need to rearrange your lists and calendar.
Now that you know my exact process, the only thing left to do is implement it. Remember that none of these tips will work unless you consistently follow these steps.
My name is Selina Johnson and I'm a Business Support Expert providing Virtual Business Support to businesses. We help SME's with administrative, technical and creative support so you are free to grow your business and increase your profits.
Contact us today to discuss how we can add value to your business.
Join our mailing list
Be the first to receive free eBooks, productivity tips and updates. We respect your privacy.